Monday, September 26, 2011

respect

In today's Inquirer, Fr. Joaquin Bernas, a priest, lawyer and member of the 1986 Constitutional Commission, wrote a very enlightening piece.

"Having said all this I must also put on my hat as a priest of the Catholic Church. I accept the teaching of the Catholic Church which prohibits not only abortion but also artificial contraception. Yet one might say that through this article I am in fact approving artificial contraception. I am not doing such a thing. Aside from being a Catholic priest in good standing, I am also a lawyer and teacher and student of Constitutional Law. What I am doing is to place all this in the context of our constitutionally mandated pluralistic society. Not all citizens of the Philippines are Catholics. Many of them therefore do not consider artificial contraception immoral or anti-life. The teaching of my Church is that I must respect the belief of other religions even if I do not agree with them. That is how Catholics and non-Catholics can live together in harmony. The alternative which, God forbid, is the restoration of the Inquisition."

For the complete article, you may follow this link.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. I skipped that article but his defense was impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete