Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Road to the 42nd Kilometer

This entry is long overdue.

You see, I ran my first 42K last March 18. That's two weeks from today and, already, there have been countless entries from other runners detailing their journeys. I, on the other hand, am still basking in the glory of my newfound experience though admittedly, I did try to write mine since Day One.

In the same light, my first marathon, just like this post, is also long overdue.

I joined the running community in the last quarter of 2009 when i debuted at the Botak Paa-bilisan five-kilometer race. I remember placing 61st out of 600 runners. It was a particularly enjoyable experience that I decided to continue the habit. Of course, just like every running enthusiast, I have one ultimate goal in mind - to run a full marathon.

Normally, a runner would plan to do his full marathon within a year or two. I, on the other hand, opted to enjoy every available distance on the road, well, except 3K. I was able to run five 10-kilometer races resulting to a personal record of 54 minutes at the Globe Run for Home in 2010. I also did a couple of 15Ks and 10-milers before transitioning to half marathon.

Now, the half-mary is a different experience altogether. I debuted at the Unilab Run United 2 back in 2010 and detailed the experience here. It was a hard and humbling experience and despite the blood, sweat and tears, I knew there's no other option for me but to move on.

And I did. That race was a test of threshold but I was able to follow it up with eight more 21Ks in the next year and a half. I even went abroad for the Singapore Marathon. As far as my pocket can afford, that's what I said to myself.

Then came November of 2011 when I joined the 32-kilometer category of Unilab Run United 3. During the race, it came to a point where I was asking myself why I was running in the first place. Looking at the faces of every runner on the road, I knew we were all thinking of the same thing. There are some who run for charity. There are others who run for family. There are a few who run to win. Me? I don't share their passion. I'm running because I just want to. Because it's something I'm good at. Because it's something I enjoy doing. And because I love the feeling of crossing the finish line - that immense joy brought about by being able to achieve a goal that some may consider trivial.

And with that realization, I knew I was ready to finally start my journey to the 42nd kilometer.



to be continued.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    That's admirable. Your stamina must be very high. Good for you!

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete